admin
1156 posts
TimePosted 22/08/2006 10:21:00
admin says

Alternative resources Question 1

I witnessed a phenomenon at a plant here in Europe, which could not be explained by anybody there. At one plant I found ring formation at the upper transition zone in a rotary kiln at three different areas. The plant is burning alternative fuels like house trash, plastics and bone meal. I was told, that all actions taken with regards to the process, have not been successful. My questions are:
1. Is there anything you could recommend apart of the standard procedures to avoid coating formation?
2. Do you know, if there is any refractory manufacturer who does supply are fractory solution for this matter and what should be the technical data for such a refractory?

Know the answer to this question? Join the community and register for a free guest account to post a reply.

admin
1156 posts
TimePosted 22/08/2006 10:21:00
admin says

Re: Alternative resources

The rings you describe must be ash rings formed where the ash from the different alternative fuels combine with the charge in the kiln. It is not uncommon for coating and rings to form at that point in the kiln. As there are three distinct rings I suppose than the different alternative fuels have different aerodynamic properties in the kiln, or different delivery systems injecting them into the kiln and this is causes the ash to combine at different positions. If that is the case I would adjust the different fuel injection velocities to try to even out the coating. I am not aware of are fractory solution to this type of problem in the lower transition zone. I suggest you contact David Shepherd of Ceram Research who will know if such a solution exists, david.shepherd@ceram.co.uk.