admin
1156 posts
TimePosted 22/08/2006 10:21:21
admin says

Kilns Question 1

What is the emissivity of a kiln's shell? I ask this because i need to know it to take infrared thermography of the surface shell of a kiln.

Know the answer to this question? Join the community and register for a free guest account to post a reply.

admin
1156 posts
admin says

Re: Kilns

The emissivity of the rough oxidised kiln shell at 400 degrees C is approximately 0.9. According to my notes emissivity is dimensionless.

admin
1156 posts
admin says

Kilns Question 2

If you have any knowledge about clinker kilns of 1000 to 1400tpd capacity being in operation today and being part of a system including precalciner. The question would be if you consider to be feasible to upgrade a 600tpd long dry kiln to an approx 1200tpd, modern precalciner kiln. What do you think an investment for such an upgrade would be like, in USD? What would be your closest estimation for such a work?

admin
1156 posts
admin says

Re: Kilns

There are certainly precalciner kilns of 1000 to 1400tpd capacity in operation today. Arguably this is well below the optimum economic scale for a kiln and factory but that depends on the local market conditions. It is also feasible to convert an existing long dry kiln. However, many items of equipment would require upgrading: the raw grinding, the kiln feeding equipment, kiln drive, cooler and clinker transport. Unfortunately this usually means that it is just as economic to scrap the old kiln and start afresh. The likely investment for the conversion would depend on many site specific factors. My best estimate would be US$23.5m.