admin
1156 posts
TimePosted 22/08/2006 10:21:25
admin says

Pollution control Question 1

I am a consultant to the petroleum coke industry. There is a lot of talk that high sulphur pet coke (7-8 per cent) is a low cost feed to cement plants that meets US emission standards. The theory is that the suphur is thoroughly consumed or bound up by the limestone and converted to calcium sulphate. I have been recently asked by a US cement plant contemplating burning coke for more specific information in order for them to meet their EPA permit. Do you have anything re solid scientific statistics of the SOx formation in cement kilns when burning coke??

Know the answer to this question? Join the community and register for a free guest account to post a reply.

admin
1156 posts
admin says

Re: Pollution control

There are a number of case studies of cement kilns burning petcoke and having no SOx emission problems. It is correct that the predominantly alkaline feed absorbs any SO2 in the kiln exhaust gases due to the intimate contact between the gases and the feed in the preheater cyclones. There is a greater potential for SOx emissions with long kilns (ie without preheaters).

admin
1156 posts
admin says

Pollution control Question 2

I have been looking for a small bagging machine to bag our duct collect powder. In conversation with an individual I was told that bagging requiremnets were about to change. That the old plastic lined bags were going to be replaced by hermetically seal bags...are you aware of anything like that in the works?

admin
1156 posts
admin says

Re: Pollution control

I'm not aware of this development, but I'm sure it depends where in the world you are working. In Europe the big coming issue is hexavalent chrome. This has to be guaranteed to be less that 2 ppm and to ensure that ferrous sulphate is added to the cement to reduce any chrome. Unfortunately the effectiveness deteriorates over time and therefore shelf-life issues raise their head. This could very well be the reason why there is a move towards hermetically sealed bags.