maddy
10 posts
TimePosted 29/06/2009 11:56:47
maddy says

Clinker granulometry during petcoke.

Respected all,

I think everyone knows that when ever we use petcoke in the system our Clinker granulometry changes and it becomes finer in size. I have seen a change in this pehnomenon, when we use 5-6% sulphur the clinker is finer and when we use a 2% sulphur petcoke the nodulisation is better.  Why is this change,  is this only due to sulphur or any other reason. And my other question is what happens to clinker temperature when we use petcoke.  With my experience I found that clinker temperature was on  higher side.  Can one tell how to reduce this (let it be any cooler). 

Best Regards,

Maddy

Know the answer to this question? Join the community and register for a free guest account to post a reply.

Michael Clark
324 posts
TimePosted 30/06/2009 09:31:04

Re: Clinker granulometry during petcoke.

The change in clinker granulometry with petcoke firing is caused by the sulphur content of the petcoke. This sulphur changes the viscosity and lowers surface tension of the flux in the kiln. This means that the flux is more mobile and the solid phases are more easily "wetted" by the flux. This also reduces the tendency for the solid phases to agglomerate into nodules and therefore explains the finer granulometry with petcoke fired kilns. It is not surprising that the granulometry change is more pronounced with higher sulphur content petcokes. This is to be expected as the more sulphur the greater will be the changes in the viscosity and surface tension of the flux.

maddy
10 posts
TimePosted 02/07/2009 10:12:58
maddy says

Thanks for the reply Mr.Clark.

By using petcoke of higher sulphur content the nodulisation is less and clinker becomes finer to avoid this now a days people started adding Feldspar.  What should be the percentage of Feldspar to be added and other than addition of feldspar what best can we do to increase nodulisation while firing petcoke.

Michael Clark
324 posts
TimePosted 02/07/2009 16:12:50

The reason to add feldspar would be to increase the alkali content of the clinker to balance the sulphur and attempt to pass the sulphur out of the kiln as alkali sulphate in the clinker. The amount of feldspar to be added will depend on the alkali content of the feldspar and the stoichiometric balance between alkali and sulphate in the clinker.