Stephenb
41 posts
TimePosted 02/11/2009 11:45:52
Stephenb says

AF

Good day Experts.

We are currently making clinker for Type II cement. The AF in the KFS and Clinker are 1.1-1.2% and 0.95-1.1% respectively. We are going to change to Type I and the AF in the KFS and Clinker are expected to be 1.3-1.4% and 1.2-1.3% respectively.

What are the positive AND negative effects on the kiln when the AF is high AND also when it is low.? 

Thanks

Know the answer to this question? Join the community and register for a free guest account to post a reply.

BK
67 posts
TimePosted 02/11/2009 13:27:31
BK says

Re: AF

Hai Stephenb,

The temperature by which the melt forms depends on the AF. The lowest temperature is obtained when the AF is aproximately 1.6 which is the optimum regarding formation of clinker minerals and nodulisation. The AF also affects colour of the clinker and cement. The higher the AF the lighter the colour of the cement. AF is not always a directly controlled parameter.

I think you are understand.

Michael Clark
324 posts
TimePosted 03/11/2009 11:35:24

Re: AF

I presume AF is alumina modulus? Changes in alumina modulus will affect the quantity and viscosity of the flux and therefore the clinkering range in the kiln. Ultimately I would expect the slight raise in alumina modulus to be beneficial for fuel consumption and productivity, but the change is likely to cause problems with the coating in the kiln, which might well be stripped out. That in turn might lead to some refractory lining issues.