faslan
38 posts
TimePosted 10/05/2010 14:39:37
faslan says

aragonite (CaCO3)

Hi everyone,

In our limestone quarry, there is a small content of aragonite structure of lime. In literature there is no such an information that its effect on clinkerization. Does anybody know anyhthing about the effect of aragonite on the calcination or clinkerization?

Thank you

Know the answer to this question? Join the community and register for a free guest account to post a reply.

Bhaskar Agate
84 posts
TimePosted 10/05/2010 16:47:13

Re: aragonite (CaCO3)

Property of Aragonite

Aragonite is thermodynamically unstable at standard temperature and pressure, and tends to alter to calcite on scales of 107 to 108 years. The mineral vaterite, also known as μ-CaCO3, is another phase of calcium carbonate that is metastable at ambient conditions typical of Earth's surface, and decomposes even more readily than aragonite.

This may help us to get the reply to your querry?

Regards

Bhaskar Agate

Ted Krapkat
537 posts
TimePosted 11/05/2010 05:45:30

faslan:

In our limestone quarry, there is a small content of aragonite structure of lime. In literature there is no such an information that its effect on clinkerization. Does anybody know anyhthing about the effect of aragonite on the calcination or clinkerization?

Hi Faslan,

Aragonite is a thermally unstable form of CaCO3 which transforms rapidly into calcite above about 450 deg.C. The calcination temperature is the same for both aragonite and calcite. (950 deg.C)

Therefore I would not worry too much about a small amount of aragonite in your quarry, as long as it does not contain too high proportions of undesirable elements.

Best Regards,

Ted.

faslan
38 posts
TimePosted 11/05/2010 07:00:25
faslan says

Thank you very much,

I reached the information of deltaH formation of aragonite-calcite transformation to be 21j/gr which means theoretically to produce one kg of clinker with 100% aragonite based limestone 5 kcal/kg clinker increase will be seen.

I have argued about that issue with my technical manager (geologist) and I couldn't persuade him. He claim that the dusty kiln and low clinker liter weight is a result of aragonite, because it is very hard to go under reactions.

If anybody have such an experience I will be glad to hear them:)

Best Regards,

Firat