Silastman
84 posts
TimePosted 23/09/2014 07:10:26
Silastman says

Features of synthesis of C3S, in the presence of significant amounts of SO3

Dear colleagues.

I have long time find the reason of suppression the synthesis of C3S in the presence of significant amounts of SO3. It looks like I was able to find the cause of this phenomenon.  I wrote an article on the subject, but all denied me in publishing. Then I got a patent on this and now I can give you the results of my research. In the attachments files paper in English and patent in Russian. 

Know the answer to this question? Join the community and register for a free guest account to post a reply.

Ted Krapkat
537 posts
TimePosted 25/09/2014 02:48:15

re Features of synthesis of C3S, in the presence of significant amounts of SO3

Hello Michael,

I'm puzzled.  All of the papers I have seen on this subject have come to the conclusion that the incoprporation of sulphur into the belite crystal lattice makes it chemically stable and this limits any further reaction of belite with free lime to form alite.

You state at the end of the introduction to your paper that "Reasons for the decline of C3S in clinker with increasing content of clinker’s SO3 in references are absent.". Yet one of your own references [5] ( http://downloads.hindawi.com/journals/ijac/2010/102146.pdf ) clearly states the following;-

"2. Influence of Sulphur on Silicate Phases

The incorporation of sulphur in the Belite stabilizes the Belite structure, whereby the uptake of CaO is inhibited and the formation is suppressed [2]. This phenomenon increases the amount of Belite and decreases that of Alite in the clinker [3]. This reported conclusion was assured by many investigations done later [2, 4, 5].

[2] J. Strunge, D. Kn¨ofel, and I. Dreizler, “Einflusse der alkalineund des Sulfates unter berucksichtigung des silicatmoduls aufdie zementeigenschaften. Teil II,” Zement-Kalk-Gips, vol. 38,no. 9, pp. 441–450, 1985.

[3] W. Gutt and M. A. Smith, “Studies of the role of calcium sulfate in the manufacture of Portland cement clinker,”Transactions of the British Ceramic Society, vol. 67, no. 10, pp.487–510, 1968.

[4] M. Moranville-Regourd and A. I. Boikova, “Chemistry structure, properties and quality of clinker,” in Proceedings of the 9th International Congress of the Chemistry of Cement, vol. 1,pp. 3–45, New Delhi, India, 1992.

[5] I. Odler and H. Zhang, “Investigations on high SO3 Portland cement clinkers,” World Cement, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 73–77,1996.

There seems to be an abundance of papers which confirm that the decline of C3S in clinker with increasing content of SO3 is due to belite stabilisation which prevents further reaction with free lime.

Regards,

Ted.

Silastman
84 posts
TimePosted 25/09/2014 08:07:33
Silastman says

Dear Ted!

Thank you so much for the criticism, but they don't make sense, because the article is still not published. And on the substance of the question I can report the following. All of the work you simply indicate generally accepted opinion, explaining the decline in the quality of clinker, without a description of the process and measures to improve the quality of the clinker in the conditions of a significant amount of SO3.

This is a very simplistic understanding of the entire process. If you take that SO3 completely blocks belit and does not form alit, then how do you explain that I was able to with content SO3 in clinker more 2.0% gain over 70 percent of Alit. Moreover, there is a second part of the article where I describe getting Alit with SO3 in clinker 12.6%. The mineralogical composition was C3S -65.9%, C2S -11.7%, C4AF-22.5%, C3A-are missing. Your hypothesis - alit in such circumstances should never be formed.  You can argue, but I have already dropped my hands, to prove its case. Anyone that's not necessary. 

Thank you Ted!

Silastman
84 posts
TimePosted 25/09/2014 08:07:33
Silastman says

Dear Ted!

Thank you so much for the criticism, but they don't make sense, because the article is still not published. And on the substance of the question I can report the following. All of the work you simply indicate generally accepted opinion, explaining the decline in the quality of clinker, without a description of the process and measures to improve the quality of the clinker in the conditions of a significant amount of SO3.

This is a very simplistic understanding of the entire process. If you take that SO3 completely blocks belit and does not form alit, then how do you explain that I was able to with content SO3 in clinker more 2.0% gain over 70 percent of Alit. Moreover, there is a second part of the article where I describe getting Alit with SO3 in clinker 12.6%. The mineralogical composition was C3S -65.9%, C2S -11.7%, C4AF-22.5%, C3A-are missing. Your hypothesis - alit in such circumstances should never be formed.  You can argue, but I have already dropped my hands, to prove its case. Anyone that's not necessary. 

Thank you Ted!