Dragon cement fire accidental

Dragon cement fire accidental
Published: 29 December 2009

The state fire marshal’s office has concluded that the explosion in an empty storage tank in Thomaston last week was caused by a combination of unburned particles in the air, heat and oxygen. The explosion at Dragon Cement Products on Wednesday, Dec. 23 was accidental, said Sgt. Ken Grimes of the state fire marshal’s office. He did not anticipate any charges being filed in the case.

The elevated storage tank was in the process of being demolished at the time. It had been empty for years, Grimes said. Sparks from a cutting torch ignited a 10 foot by 10 foot debris pile that included insulation and styrofoam before the explosion. Hot gases from the fire entered through vents in the tank and filled it before the particles in the thick smoke ignited. No one was injured.