Russia’s Siberian Cement has started Kazakh project

Russia’s Siberian Cement has started Kazakh project
Published: 03 May 2007

With a capacity of 1.2Mta of cement Siberian Cement (SIBCEM) and its undisclosed Kazakh partner have formed the YUG CEMENT (South Cement) joint venture. SIBCEM has taken a 51% in the JV, leaving its partner with 49%. The latter paid for its stake with the Aktau limestone deposit, with reserves of 125Mt. The plant will be constructed within a 64-hectare plot in the town of Karatau (Zhambyl District, Kazakhstan’s southern region).
 
The Almaty-based NIISTROMPROEKT Research Institute is drawing up a feasibility study for the project, while Polysius has been linked to the equipment contract. Construction is scheduled for completion towards 2010. Berik Umitkaliev, the Kazakh partner’s representative, has been appointed the future plant’s general director. SIBCEM says the Kazakh cement market has high potential for growth. Almaty alone experienced cement shortfalls of one million tonnes in 2006.