Caribbean Cement Company (CCCL) yesterday (March 16) broke ground for its Kiln 5-expansion project, which will be undertaken over the next three years. The project is part of the company’s US$130m modernisation and expansion programme, which is aimed at improving efficiency and environmental performance while making the company more globally competitive.
CCL Chairman Brian Young, speaking at the groundbreaking held at the Rockfort plant, said that on completion of the kiln, the plant’s annual production capacity would double to 1.3Mt of clinker and 2Mt of cement.
On the company’s enquiry into the release of faulty cement into the market last month, Mr. Young assured that the matter was being thoroughly investigated, with regional and international assistance being employed. He informed that a comprehensive report would be made available soon.
The Commerce Minister expressed satisfaction with the company’s expansion and modernization programme and in particular, the emphasis being placed on the training of employees through the Rockfort Academy.
In his remarks, Vice President of the National Workers Union, Danny Roberts, said that based on the union’s preliminary enquiries into the release of off spec into the market, "we have ruled out the problem as arising from any weakness in the rigourous testing procedures." Mr. Roberts further urged the government to "stand firm and make good on its promises to protect the plant until 2008."