Lafarge Nigeria unit takes control of UNICEM

Lafarge Nigeria unit takes control of UNICEM
Published: 06 October 2015


An affiliate of Lafarge Africa has completed a 100 per cent acquisition of Nigeria's third-largest cement manufacturer, United Cement Company of Nigeria (UNICEM).

Lafarge said its affiliate Nigerian Cement Holdings (NCH), owned a 70 per cent equity in UNICEM before agreeing a deal last November to buy the remaining 30 per cent stake from Flour Mills, Reuters reported.

Unicem, which is based at Mfamosing, close to Calabar, southeastern Nigeria. Unicem is building a 2.5Mta line which will bring its capacity to 5Mta.