David
28 posts
TimePosted 06/11/2008 09:51:52
David says

Kiln hood

Hey,

What is the reason of damaging the refractory lining in the kiln hood area? We have 2 P.C kiln with grate cooler  and we face this problem in both kiln, bricks fall from the roof and  side walls crack and fall of big castable pieces. This damaging happen frequently and after few months only. Is it refractory lining problem or process problem or maybe design problem? NEED HELP

thanks

Know the answer to this question? Join the community and register for a free guest account to post a reply.

vinayak
29 posts
TimePosted 06/11/2008 14:31:52
vinayak says

Re: Kiln hood

Hi

Normal life of hood arches is about 2 to 3 years. I don't expect a design problem.It is very difficult to come to conclusion without seeing the nature of failure. If the roof bricks are not laid tight enough to hold the bricks, it will fall down due to the thermal expansion and shrinking during any small stoppage.If the bricks became yellowing\sh or greenish it may be due to the alkali or sulfur attack. it will lead to spalling of the bricks and hence the cracks will form.

Regarding the side walls, if sufficeint expansion joints are not given , it will also lead to bulging of lining and hence the crak/failure.

You may also ask your refractory supplier to have a look at the bricks/castable during shutdown.they will be able to guide better. if you send some photograph along with lining data and past history, better solution can be given

Regards

Vinayak 

vinayak_icl@rediffmail.com

David
28 posts
TimePosted 10/11/2008 21:06:20
David says

Thank you alot Vinayak for your answer, i will try to send all information and photos in the next shutdown of our kiln.

thanks again

fatih
14 posts
TimePosted 12/01/2009 22:18:30
fatih says

Hello David,

I am sure you know that one of main process values is to have negative pressure in kiln hood. Positive pressure causes that kind of problem u mentioned.

Furthermore Mechanics of that area is very important about refractory life.

Regards,

Fatih