Francois Sammut
1 posts
TimePosted 16/04/2010 13:00:54

Replacing coal by natural gas in kilns

Hi

I am looking for "independent" proof that replacing coal with natural gas in a kiln leads to lower process effeciency. So far I have only found reference to this on Wikipedia, but would like to find books, articles or even "experts" who can confirm this. Anybody know of any relevant references, or anybody an "expert" on this?

Thanks 

Know the answer to this question? Join the community and register for a free guest account to post a reply.

Michael Clark
324 posts
TimePosted 16/04/2010 15:27:25

Re: Replacing coal by natural gas in kilns

There are at least 2 reasons why cement kilns fired with natural gas are less productive than those fired with solid fuels: (i) the combustion product gas volume is higher with natural gas due to its higher hydrogen content, therefore the effective capacity of the induced draft fan of the kiln is reduced, and (ii) the emissivity of a gas flame is lower than a coal flame due to the lack of particles to glow in the flame meaning thatn heat transfer the the charge in the kiln is less efficient.

ovancantfort
57 posts
TimePosted 21/04/2010 11:17:21

In addition to the remarks of Dr. Clark, as combustion product volume is higher, heat losses by the flue gas at top of preheater are also higher, which means heat consumption of the kiln will also be slightly higher.

Bhaskar Agate
84 posts
TimePosted 26/04/2010 16:57:30

You may please refer Fuel Chapter of Walter Duda book vol.1 on Cement Technology as an additional proof.The naration given over there falls in line with the comments given by the esteem experts Dr. Michael Clark & Mr. Ovancantfort.

Regards

Bhaskar Agate