Cement News tagged under: Capacity

RSS feed

Pakistan prepares for positive future

18 May 2016, Published under Cement News

The outlook for the Pakistan cement industry is positive with expansion expected over the next few years. Key reasons include improved sector fundamentals backed by higher demand, cost efficiencies driven by lower international coal prices and captive power generation reducing energy costs, capacity expansions and low to minimal risk of cement price destabilisation. As a result, cement demand is forecast to grow at least eight per cent over the next five years (FY16-21) on the back of an ave...

Holcim Indonesia expects capacity up 12% in 2016

04 May 2016, Published under Cement News

Following the acquisition of PT Lafarge Cement Indonesia, Holcim Indonesia increased its domestic production capacity by 1.6Mta to 15Mta, the company said in a statement. In addition, the cement producer’s 1.7Mta Tuban 2 cement plant is expected to be operational for its first full year in 2016 after coming online in August last year. Most of Holcim Indonesia’s production is sold in West Java, Jakarta and Banten, but the acquisition of Lafarge Cement Indonesia and the new works at Tub...

Can China bounce back?

28 April 2016, Published under Cement News

Ahead of the 17th China International Cement Industry Exhibition, which is due to take place in Nanjing, China, on 12-14 May 2016, this article presents an update on important recent developments in terms of domestic cement consumption trends and the pricing environment. Efforts to cut excessive capacity and promote industry consolidation also remain central themes. By Addison Dai, DBS Vickers, Hong Kong. Nanjing will be the setting for the 17th China International Cement Industry Ex...

CRH interested in HeidelbergCement US and Belgian units

28 April 2016, Published under Cement News

CRH has expressed an interest in acquiring HeidelbergCement’s US and Belgian assets. The Germany-based company is expected to divest in such units to comply with the requirements set by competition authorities for its acquisition of Italcementi. "US cement is of interest to us and we're fully aware of the asset that may spin out of the potential acquisition," Mr Manifold said. "With regards to Belgium, it's a prime asset and certainly it would make a good fit with our businesses, providin...

LafargeHolcim considering Vietnam exit

25 April 2016, Published under Cement News

LafargeHolcim Group, a joint venture between Swiss Holcim Ltd. and French Lafarge Group, may withdraw from Vietnam due to oversupply of cement in the domestic market, said Nguyen Cong Bao, general director of Holcim Vietnam, a subsidiary of Holcim Ltd. The group had a meeting with the Vietnamese Ministry of Construction to notify of the group’ business plans in Vietnam for the coming time, Mr. Bao was quoted by Dau Tu newspaper as saying Wednesday. According to the newspaper, Vietnam Cemen...

Taiwan's next phase

21 April 2016, Published under Cement News

With demand far from its 1993 peak of 28Mt and export restrictions in place since 2011, the Taiwan cement industry has faced testing times in its recent history. As import protection ends in May 2016, ICR speaks with Christopher Pei, secretary general of Taiwan Cement Manufacturers’ Association, about expectations for this challenging new era. Christopher Pei, secretary general, Taiwan Cement Manufacturers’ Association In mid-2016, Taiwan’s cement industry is expected to ente...

Sengileevsky rises again

23 March 2016, Published under Cement News

Last year saw the commissioning of Eurocement’s renovated Sengileevsky cement plant in Ulyanovsk, Russia. The modern 1.3Mta dry-process works includes bagged and bulk dispatching capabilities and has enhanced the company's distribution network by facilitating deliveries by barge to end customers. By Eurocement, Russia. Eurocement unveiled its new state-of-the-art Sengileevsky plant in July 2015 Eurocement’s Sengileevsky works launched production in 1913 following the commission...

Lafarge halts EUR20m investment in Sagunto plant, Spain

17 February 2016, Published under Cement News

The management of Lafarge yesterday made public its decision to halt the expansion of its quarry and its plant at Sagunto, Spain, due to “the uncertainty created by the new local government and the lack of viable alternatives,” according to El Mercantil Valenciano. The cement producer had intended to spend around EUR20m in upgrading its plant. In 2013 Lafarge and the town council of Sagunto agreed for the company to accept the limits to the use of its quarrying concession and move to the o...

Saudi Cement shuts down two kilns

30 December 2015, Published under Cement News

Saudi Cement Co has closed down two kilns indefinitely as a result of high inventory, absence of growth in Saudi demand and the continuing ban on exports, it said in a bourse statement on Wednesday. The company reported an impairment charge of SAR66.2m (US$17.6m) in the fourth quarter of 2015 as a result of the kiln closures. Furthermore, Saudi Cement Co expects the fuel and electricity price hikes announced in the 2016 government budget to increase its production costs by SAR68m (US$18.13...

PT Indocement

23 December 2015, Published under Cement News

Domestic cement demand in Indonesia grew by 4.7 per cent in November, compared to the same period last year, according to recent data from the Indonesia Cement Association (ASI). A boost in government spending on infrastructure projects was seen as the driver behind the expansion. This follows the 10.2 per cent increase seen in October this year when sales for the month hit almost 6.5Mt. According to ASI, sales for the year to date including November are 55.6Mt, up by 1.9 per cent on the sam...