Cement News tagged under: Quarrying

RSS feed

Lafarge Dunbar receives quarry equipment, UK

03 October 2012, Published under Cement News

Quarry operators at Lafarge Cement’s Dunbar Works are celebrating the arrival of some brand new four dumper trucks – measuring five metres to the top of the cab – and one giant excavator, managed under a contract hire arrangement, which have been given the thumbs up by operators including Dunbar-based Gerry Donnellan, production operator.   He says he and fellow workers are finding the machines ideally suited to the challenging quarry conditions and make work more enjoyable.  “The new kit h...

Lafarge Canada receives approval to expand quarry

29 August 2012, Published under Cement News

Lafarge Canada has received approval to expand its Flamborough quarry, according to local press reports. The company applied for the 31ha expansion of its existing aggregate operation back in 2007, the Hamilton Spectator reports. Objection from a nearby resident resulted in Lafarge promising additional monitoring and strengthen its rehabilitation plan, according to a Ministry of Natural Resources notice. The expansion became necessary because aggregate reserves were depleted. A Class A...

China quarry blast death toll rises

29 August 2012, Published under Cement News

The death toll from a quarry blast at a south China cement factory earlier this week has risen to 10 while 18 other have been confirmed injured, local authorites have said. The blast occurred on Monday afternoon at the Longshan Cement Company in Yingde, Guangdong province, Xinhua news agency reported . The blast has resulted in the death of eight of the company’s workers, a driver from an explosive sales company and a security guard, Liu Weirong, spokesperson of the Yingde municipal g...

China cement plant explosion kills nine

28 August 2012, Published under Cement News

An explosion at the quarry of a cement plant in southern China killed nine people and left one person missing, the official Xinhua News Agency reported, citing local authorities. The blast occurred at around 2:30pm at the Hailuolongshan cement plant in Yingde city in the southern province of Guangdong, when workers were unloading explosives off three trucks, the report said, citing a city government statement. The trucks were carrying 13t of explosives and workers had already unloaded 6t ...

Commissioners consider Lehigh quarry plans, USA

23 May 2012, Published under Cement News

Plans to reclaim areas of the Lehigh Southwest Cement Permanente Quarry over the next 20 years are now being considered by seven Santa Clara County Planning Commissioners, who will possibly make a decision at a public hearing this Thursday, May 24. Lehigh is under pressure from the state Office of Mine Reclamation to get an amendment passed to the quarry’s original 1985 reclamation plan. Lehigh could possibly lose its right to sell cement and quarry products to public agencies without swi...

St Marys Cement battle with Ontario government, Canada

16 March 2012, Published under Cement News

St Marys Cement Inc of Canada said in a press release Thursday it may call Ontario Environment Minister James Bradley as a witness in the judicial review of a decision by the provincial government to deny it permission to operate an aggregate quarry north of Hamilton. The Daily Commercial News report that the cement firm’s US parent company has challenged the federal government under the North American Free Trade Agreement. The company is also appealing to the Ontario Divisional Cou...

Chavez authorises investment, company name change

06 March 2012, Published under Cement News

Venezuela’s president, Hugo Chávez has authorised VEF43m (US$10m) to build a new quarry for cement production. The executive also approved changing the name of Cemex Venezuela to Venezolana de Cementos as well as measure to develop and strengthen the firm, according to a release from the national assembly. Last year, Cemex received US$600m in compensation from the Venezuelan government  for nationalization of the cement prouducer’s local works.

HeidelbergCement Quarry Life Award

22 February 2012, Published under Cement News

The first edition of the Quarry Life Award launched by HeidelbergCement raised strong interest from students and researchers. Over 300 project proposals will be competing in 18 countries on four continents. At the close of entries on 17 February, more than 300 projects ideas had been registered to compete for the first Quarry Life Award launched by HeidelbergCement and its national companies. Students and researchers from Europe, Africa, Asia and Oceania were asked to submit a project pro...

WBCSD – quarry rehabilitation guidelines released

27 January 2012, Published under Cement News

The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) has released Guidelines on Quarry Rehabilitation which provides practical guidance for managing the impacts of quarrying activities and ensuring that environments are properly revitalized. Led by the Cement Sustainability Initiative (CSI), the project was carried out by a group of member companies and is based on methods that they have successfully employed. Philippe Fonta, Managing Director, WBCSD Cement Sustainability Initiati...