Cement News tagged under: exploitation permit

RSS feed

Sweden's Supreme Land and Environmental Court rejects Cementa mining application

08 July 2021, Published under Cement News

The Swedish Supreme Land and Environmental Court has rejected Cementa's application to renew its permit to mine limestone at the company’s existing quarries in Slite, Gotland. The court has rejected the application on the grounds that the impact of the operation on groundwater has not been sufficiently investigated. Cementa's application for a renewed mining permit for the operations in Slite was approved by the Land and Environment Court in January 2020. Subsequently, the judgment has bee...

Swiss cement sector requires quarry expansions to sustain production beyond 2024

22 December 2020, Published under Cement News

Without the expansion of quarries, Swiss cement production could fall as early as 2024, according to the National Geological Survey Swisstopo, Switzerland’s federal office of topography.  To carry out the implementation and maintenance of construction and infrastructure projects, the country needs approximately 5Mta, according to the organisation. Swiss cement plants covered 86 per cent of supply requirements in 2019 – the remaining 14 per cent were covered by imports. Without new permits, ...

Cemex seeks increased exploitation of Can Negret quarry

10 September 2018, Published under Cement News

Cemex has filed an appeal for reversal of the Government resolution regarding the cement producer’s exploitation of the Can Negret quarry in Alaró, Spain. Cemex extracts limestone from the quarry for its Lloseta cement plant and wants to exploit the quarry until 2042 (and to 2072 with an extension) and over an area of 483,734m 2 . The government has agreed only to a term until 2032 (2037 including the restoration phase) and over an area of 452,621m 2 . In addition, the extraction volume h...

Lloseta plant applies for raw material extension

02 August 2018, Published under Cement News

Cemex's Lloseta cement plant in Spain has applied for permission to extract a maximum of 15Mt of raw material from its quarry of Can Negret, Alaró, until 2032. The cement producers has presented the project to the Ministry of Treball in line with the Balearic mining ordinance of 2014. It also has drawn up a plan for the restoration following exploitation. The project will need to obtain permission from the environmental commission, according to Ultima Hora. The quarry is located in the t...

Spain: LafargeHolcim to seek different quarry area for Sagunto

05 April 2016, Published under Cement News

Teresa Garcia, environment councillor for the town of Sagunto, Spain, is advising LafargeHolcim to “consider other options” for a new quarry as the coveted area in Pinyal is “an important forest area and head of basin that must be protected.” She also referred to the Valencia Territorial Strategy to support her decision. The original decision, signed in 2009, gave the company the option to open a new quarry in the area to guarantee its future extraction of raw materials and operation of it...

Dominican Republic: no Azua exploitation concession for Cemento Santo Domingo

24 November 2015, Published under Cement News

The Abinader Corona family, who part-own Cemento Santo Domingo, reported this morning that after 16 years of work in strict accordance with national laws and legal norms of trade, the government disapproved of the Hatillo company mining concession in the Dominican Republic.  However, Cemento Santo Domingo was never granted exploitation rights for the limestone deposit in Azua province, according to the country’s Ministry of Energy and Mines. The governmental body pointed out that granting ...