Cement News tagged under: Whale Rock Cement

RSS feed

Schwenk Zement to exit Namibia

15 March 2019, Published under Cement News

This week, ICR learned that the Namibian cement market was in the process of change with Schwenk Zement's 0.7Mta Ohorongo plant now expected to come under control of International Cement Group (ICG), a Singapore-based company owned by Compact Metal Industrial Plc. ICG aims to acquire 69.83 per cent in Ohorongo Cement, subject to approval by the competition authorities. The remaining 30.17 per cent of shares are held by the Development Bank of Namibia and other South African shareholders. ...

Whale Rock Cement starts sourcing local clinker

14 March 2019, Published under Cement News

Namibia's Whale Rock Cement, producer of the Cheetah Cement brand, has started to source clinker locally after initially sourcing it from Egypt, according to Zedekias Gowaseb, company chairman. "The clinker we import was from Egypt, that is no secret," said Mr Gowaseb. "From December 2018 we have already started to produce clinker from the Whale Rock mine," he added. Currently, the company’s cement products do not use the seal of approval from either the Namibia Standards Institute or ...

Namibia’s Whale Rock cement plant commissioning in October

30 July 2018, Published under Cement News

Namibia’s Whale Rock cement plant, built with Chinese investment, is expected to fully commission at the end of October, according to company spokesman Manfred Uxamb. The plant represents an investment of US$350m and is expected to produce 1.2Mta of Cheetah-branded cement. Production at the plant started in April . "Whale Rock Cement has already started with cement production in April and has entered the market in May 2018," Mr Uxamb said. "Our plant is built for a global market fr...

Whale Rock Cement ready to start production in April

08 March 2018, Published under Cement News

Whale Rock Cement, a joint venture between Chinese businesses and a Namibian partner, is to start producing cement in April, under the Cheetah Cement brand, according to company spokesperson Manfred Uxamb. Mr Uxamb said the plant will start operating at the end of next month but will only be fully operational by the end of August 2018. The US$350m plant will have a cement capacity of 1.2Mta making it the country's largest cement producer with a staff of 600. According to Mr Uxamb, cement m...

Value chain is being bypassed in Namibia's cement sector

02 March 2018, Published under Cement News

Namibia's cement industry is suffering from oversupply and low protection for the existing domestic producers. Infant Industry Protection (IIP) is afforded to an infant industry for a period of eight years with the rationale being that while protection is afforded to a newly-established industry during the start-up years. However, the IIP granted players have seen new entrants set-up without having to comply with all the provisions, according to the Southern Times.
 Ohorongo Cement's Manag...

Namibia imports 40,000t of Chinese clinker

16 February 2018, Published under Cement News

Some 40,000t of clinker from China was unloaded at Namport, Namibia’s largest port. The clinker will be transported to the new cement plant of Whale Rock/Cheetah Cement, a Chinese-Namibian joint venture, in Otjiwarongo, Otjozondjupa region. "According to one estimate, about 70 trucks will be used to transport the product during this exercise, over a period of 20 days," said Namport Director, Immanuel Hanabeb.

Chinese company signs MoU for Namibian plant

26 October 2015, Published under Cement News

China-based Asian and African Business Management has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Namibian company Whale Rock Cement for a US$350m cement plant. The signing ceremony was attended by the Chinese Ambassador to Namibia, Xin Shunkang, and the chairperson of Asian and African Business Management, Zhang Jimin, according to reports by China Daily. The plant, about 245km from the capital Windhoek, will be the second cement plant in Namibia. The southwest African country is currently ...