Pankajbits45
25 posts
TimePosted 06/08/2011 06:54:59

Impact of free lime on grinding efficiency

If free lime in clinker is >2% or <0.8%, then how will it effect on grinding efficiency???

Know the answer to this question? Join the community and register for a free guest account to post a reply.

Ted Krapkat
537 posts
TimePosted 08/08/2011 04:37:17

Re: Impact of free lime on grinding efficiency

Hello Pankajbits,

All other factors being equal, low free lime clinker (hard burned) is generally harder to grind than clinker with higher free lime. This is due to physical changes in clinker mineralogy and porosity caused by over-burning rather than the presence of the free lime itself.

Hard burning causes the following mineralogical changes which have a detrimental effect on clinker grindability;-

1. An increase in both Alite and Belite crystal sizes.

2. An increase in clinker density associated with a reduction in clinker porosity. In particular, a reduction in the percentage of open pores (ie microscopic pores that penetrate from the surface of a clinker nodule well into the interior.)

There are a couple of other secondary microstructural properties of clinker that are variously mentioned in the literature as having a negative effect on clinker grindability;-

(a) An increase in the quantity of Belite and its distribution (ie an over-abundance of clusters, particularly large dense clusters caused by coarse silica.)

(b) The presence of coarsely crystalline C3A, caused by very slow cooling.

(c) An increase in the quantity of fine clinker particles. (<5mm).

Regards,

Ted.

Pankajbits45
25 posts
TimePosted 08/08/2011 07:07:39

Thanks for ur promt fruitful reply

Regards

Pankaj

Pankajbits45
25 posts
TimePosted 08/08/2011 07:19:38

Dear Sir,

I am totally agree with u but i am not cleared about the increase in density and reduction in porosity of clinker????

Can u plzz reply me??????

Regards

Pankaj Kumar