Court suspends issue of permits for EUR350m Holcim plant

Court suspends issue of permits for EUR350m Holcim plant
Published: 07 July 2009

The County Court of Komarom-Esztergom has suspended the issue of permits for the construction of a cement plant in Nyergesujfalu (NW Hungary) by Hoclim in a first-instance ruling, the Valaszuton Foundation, one of the civil organisations that brought the case, told MTI on Monday.

The civil organisations as well as several local councils sued the National Environmental Protection Agency in the case because they said the construction of the plant would cause irreparable damage to the area around it, especially the Natura 2000 area through which deliveries would pass, said Attila Szuhi, a representative of the foundation.

Holcim Hungaria communications director Iren Marta said the company would appeal the decision. She added that it would have no effect on building permits which had already been issued.

Holcim wants to spend EUR 350m to build Europe’s most modern plant at the site, but changes on the financial as well as the construction markets have caused delays of some two years.

MTI - EcoNews