Belarus’ ministry wants cement exports stopped in 2008

Belarus’ ministry wants cement exports stopped in 2008
Published: 29 November 2007

Belarus’ Architecture and Construction Ministry wants exports of cement stopped in 2008, Minister Alexander Seleznev told the Belarusian parliament on Wednesday.  
 
“We will deal with the origin [of the deficit] next year. We suggest selling cement only on the domestic market; exports must stop,” Seleznev said.  
 
In summer, too much cement was sold by retailers, and the state housing program was threatened.  
 
“They inform me about the availability of cement every day. Minsk sells 250-300t daily, some 60t remain in stock when shops close. In the regions, stocks are close to 300-400t, but some shops feel shortages,” the minister said.  
 
In 2006, Belarus’ three cement plans produced 3.28Mt of cement. In 2007, their output is expected at 3.75Mt. Last year, exports reached 800,000t, but the forecast for 2007 was halved. 
 
President Alexander Lukashenko set the government a task to triple cement production to 10Mt by 2011.