Kiln death plunge inquiry

Kiln death plunge inquiry
Published: 20 July 2004

Work on the new kiln at Padeswood has been suspended following the death of a mechanical constructor who was working on a platform at the top of the 230ft-high steel tower at Castle Cement, Padeswood, Mold, when the accident happened last week. "Work has been suspended” said Castle Cement general manager, Danny Coulston.

Fire crews used a crane from the site to reach Belgian Marc Vliegen, a 45-year-old Belgian national was working for Belgian firm, Pirson Montage on the new 750,000tpa kiln.  "All I know was that a contractor fell through a floor. He should have been wearing a harness and it should have been connected to a line” Danny Coulston reported. Mr Coulston said there would have been around a 100 people working on the site building the new kiln on Saturday.  Work on the project is due to finish next year.