nahon@redarrowcapital.com
1 posts
TimePosted 01/08/2007 22:24:14

mn 203

I need some advice and/or help.

I am involved in a project which entails the erection of a new cement plant north of Johannesburg.

The feasibility report is almost complete and prospecting completes today.

The limestone deposit is vast.

Cao is greater than 44% and MGO less than 3,5%. A full analysis is available.

MN 203  however approximates 1% (between ,8 and 1%).

The plant manufacturer appears unsure and has indicated that and I quote

Got a feedback from the lab in Germany.

Neither in the literature nor internal documentation is a maximum limit for the

Mn2O3 component mentioned.

But in the whole company history never was a limestone analysed with such a high content of Mn2O3

The maximum content within limestone, used for the production of clinker, was 0.3 %.

If you are able to limit the Mn2O3 content to this value the company can’t see any problems.”

Could the MN 203 have any deleterious effect on the production of cement?

If so what can be done? Does it render the deposit unsuitable for cement production?

Can you assist in any way or do you have any views?

Your assistance and comment would be greatly appreciated.

Know the answer to this question? Join the community and register for a free guest account to post a reply.

Michael Clark
324 posts
TimePosted 07/08/2007 13:34:44

Re: mn 203

Mn2O3 substitutes for Fe2O3 in C4AF. Therefore it will lead to additional flux in the kiln. Anecdotally I have heard of high Mn2O3 in raw materials leading to formation of large clinker balls in the kiln. It should be possible to reduce the Fe2O3 content pro rata and avoid such problems. However, the amounts are unusually high as indicated by the lab in Germany. I would recommend some trial mixes and burns with progressively increasing Mn2O3 content and reducing Fe2O3 content.