Bhilai Jaypee Cement project faces government block, India

Bhilai Jaypee Cement project faces government block, India
05 May 2010

The Chhattisgarh government has refused to grant permission to Bhilai Jaypee Cement Ltd as the company had allegedly violated norms while constructing structures for its plant in the Durg district, Business Standard reports.
The cement plant is a joint venture between the Jaypee Associates and Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL). The cement plant, attached to the SAIL’s Bhilai Steel Plant (BSP), aims to produce 2.2Mt of slag-based cement per year. Jaypee Associates has 74 per cent stake in the JV while remaining 26 per cent will be with SAIL.  The SAIL has assured supply of granulated slag from its BSP blast furnaces for a period of 30 years.
The plant was scheduled to go on-stream in October 2009. Construction work was completed well in time, but the plant could not go on stream as the district administration and civic authorities refused to give permission, a senior SAIL official said.
The local administration said that the company violated norms while building structures for the plant. "After the matter was brought to our notice, we had issued letter to the company asking not to start production till it got all required clearances," Bhilai Municipal Corporation (BMC) Commissioner R S Toppo said.
Toppo said the company had neither taken permission to construct the building nor had diverted the green land for industrial purpose. It even ignored to seek permission from the district administration committee to build high-rise structures, he added.
Source: Business Standard
Published under Cement News