Cement News tagged under: Cement Australia

RSS feed

Cement Australia fined in Port Kembla over raw material storage

12 March 2018, Published under Cement News

Cement Australia's Christy Drive operation has been served fines of AUD30,000 (US$23,500) from the Environment Protection Authority for improper storage of its materials at Port Kembla. The Cement Australia facility earned the fines after the EPA found two licence conditions had been broken on numerous occasions at the plant, operated by Port Kembla Milling Pty Ltd. The company was fined over failing to cover raw materials. The EPA said gypsum and limestone were stored in the open ...

Cement Australia to pay an extra US$16.1m over fly ash competition case

05 October 2017, Published under Cement News

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has failed to win a substantial increase in the penalty awarded against Cement Australia for breaching the competition rules over the purchase of fly ash in Queensland. However, the competition regulator did win a technical argument over who is liable for payment of the fine in the case of jointly-owned companies. Cement Australia is owned by global giants Hanson and Holcim and the case centred on contracts to buy fly-ash from th...

Australia: competition body seeks higher Cement Australia fine

07 June 2016, Published under Cement News

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has appealed against a court ruling imposing fines of AUD18.6m (US$14m) on Cement Australia, one fifth of the level the ACCC had asked for. In September 2013 Cement Australia was found guilty of conspiring to prevent competition in the concrete market when it entered into contracts with power stations in southeast Queensland to acquire fly ash. On 29 April 2016, Australia’s Federal Court levied a fine of AUD18.6m on the company ...

Australian cement companies fined AUD18.62m

29 April 2016, Published under Cement News

After the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) brought the proceedings against four Australian cement manufacturers in 2008, the Federal Court has finally ordered the four cement companies pay more than AUD18m (US$13.73m) in penalties for anti-competitive conduct. Cement Australia Pty Ltd, Cement Australia Queensland Pty Ltd, Pozzolanic Enterprises Pty Ltd, and Pozzolanic Industries Pty Ltd entered into the contracts between 2002 and 2006, and operated in breach of the the...

Cement Australia stake up for sale?

21 March 2016, Published under Cement News

One of the two main shareholders of Cement Australia is reported to consider a potential sale of its 50 per cent stake, according to market sources. The value of Cement Australia is being discussed at US$800m, according to reports in Business Spectator. One theory suggests that Holcim could carry out the divestment ahead of plans to sell of its US$3bn Australia and New Zealand division to Adelaide Brighton in light of its merger with Lafarge. However, the deal would be subject to appr...

Cement Australia fined AUD100,000 after worker's death

22 August 2013, Published under Cement News

Cement Australia has been found guilty of failing to comply with Australian Standard Safety of Machinery requirements following a worker's death and has been fined AUD100,000 (US$90,080). A conveyor system at Cement Australia's Kandos works was found to be insufficiently guarded when an employee was pinned between two electronic rams. The incident, which took place in 2009, resulted in the death of Mr Colin Fuller who was working unsupervised on a broken sheer pin. A later investigation r...

Holcim and Heidelberg to operate Cement Australia as a joint venture

14 March 2013, Published under Cement News

Holcim Ltd said Thursday it plans to sell a 25 per cent stake in Cement Australia to HeidelbergCement and operate the company as an equally-controlled joint venture between the two cement majors. Holcim and HeidelbergCement should be equally represented on the board and the chairmanship should rotate, the Swiss firm noted, adding that the contract on the transaction is still to be signed. Holcim currently owns 75 per cent of Cement Australia and Hanson Cement the other 25 per cent. “Th...

Mining company looks to restart Kandos operations, Australia

04 September 2012, Published under Cement News

Mining company Kingsgate Consolidated has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the owners of the former Kandos cement works in an attempt to revive production. About 100 people lost their jobs when the cement works owned by Cement Australia (part of the Holcim group) stopped production last September. The New Projects Manager Simon McDonald says it is one of a few sites that will be considered. "As you know Kandos was shut down last year with the loss of quite a few jobs and s...

Australia: market uncertainties ahead

03 September 2012, Published under Cement News

Challenging market conditions persist for Australia's cement sector due to weak residential and commercial activity combined with the potential impact of a new carbon tax which became effective last month.   Last year saw a decline in housing starts as rising interest rates coincided with the end of stimulus packages. In November 2011, the Reserve Bank cut interest rates by 25bp to spur the market into recovery although it was unable to stop further declines in financing approvals. Latest da...

Latest grinding technology for Australia

13 January 2012, Published under Cement News

Gebr. Pfeiffer SE will supply Australia’s largest vertical roller mill for cement grinding to Australia’s leading cement manufacturer Cement Australia Pty. Ltd. whose main shareholders are Holcim Ltd and HeidelbergCement AG. The overall project will be carried out in co-operation with the Spanish EPC leader Cemengal S.A. The suppliers of the plant were faced with the task of meeting the customer’s high demands and responding to the country specific requirements. This challenge is refle...