Cement News tagged under: Holcim

RSS feed

Holcim

06 January 2015, Published under Cement News

The European Commission has cleared the proposed merger of Holcim and Lafarge, subject to the disposals already agreed with the commission. The names of the merged group’s executive team have been announced and, in addition to the previously-announced CEO and finance director, these consist of four candidates from each of the two companies involved. Meanwhile, Holcim New Zealand is selling its 72 per cent stake in McDonalds Lime to the Canadian group Graymont, which is the second-largest ...

Holcim and Cemex close their series of transactions in Europe

06 January 2015, Published under Cement News

Holcim and Cemex today announce the successful closure of their series of transactions in Europe. Holcim acquired Cemex’s operations in western Germany and The Netherlands while Cemex took over Holcim Czech Republic with all its subsidiaries in the country. In Spain, Cemex purchased Holcim’s Gador cement plant and Yeles grinding station, while Holcim keeps its remaining operations. As a result of the transactions, Cemex paid Holcim EUR45m in cash. Holcim said it expects sustainable ad...

Holcim and Lafarge select future executive committee

24 December 2014, Published under Cement News

Holcim and Lafarge have selected the future executive committee to head the combined company after completion of the merger. In the new set-up, Bruno Lafont, as CEO, will head up a project team of 10 seasoned managers who will lead the transition until the completion of the merger. Once the merger is finalised, the members of this project team will be officially appointed members of the Executive Committee of the proposed combined company by the future Board which will be chaired by Wolfgang...

Cementos Argos

23 December 2014, Published under Cement News

Cementos Argos has pulled out of the running for any Brazilian assets being sold off following the Lafarge/Holcim merger. According to Cementos Argos, any potential purchase would not “generate the value its investments would expect”. UltraTech Cement has reportedly also followed suit with the Brazilian economy being blamed by many for the u-turn. Brazil has seen its economy shrink by 0.9 per cent in 2Q14 and a further 0.25 per cent in the third quarter. Growth of around 1.4 per cent is p...

CRH increases investment war chest

19 December 2014, Published under Cement News

CRH’s recent disposal announced this week is being viewed as positive for further development as it keeps in line with the company's efforts to streamline its portfolio and provides additional financial flexibility for acquisitions. On Tuesday CRH announced it had reached an agreement to dispose of its clay and concrete businesses in the UK and its clay business in the US. The move had been expected for a while with CRH said to be dissatisfied with the structural returns in the brick bu...

UltraTech re-evaluating Brazil asset bid

11 December 2014, Published under Cement News

Indian cement major UltraTech Cement is reportedly re-evaluating its decision to bid for the Brazilian assets put on the block by Holcim and Lafarge ahead of their planned merger. According to local press reports, the Aditya Birla company had submitted non-binding bids for the cement assets in October, after which binding bids are due in January. The company is now said to be “rethinking about the bids” and UltraTech Cement may “pull back at the binding stage,” sources familiar with the m...

Argos to not bid for Lafarge/Holcim Brazilian assets

10 December 2014, Published under Cement News

Cementos Argos has decided not to not bid for the Brazilian assets that Lafarge and Holcim have put up for sale ahead of their planned merger. Colombia’s largest cement producer has informed the Superintendencia Financiera that it does not see such a purchase as being likely to generate the value its investments would expect. Argos had been in consultation with Itau Unibanco concerning a possible bid.

Changes in Holcim Ltd's senior management

08 December 2014, Published under Cement News

Jacques Bourgon, currently head of OH&S, senior advisor to the CEO and member of Holcim Ltd's senior management, has decided to pursue other challenges outside the group. He will be leaving Holcim on 31 December 2014, according to a statement by the Swiss cement major. "Holcim thanks Jacques Bourgon for the valuable contributions he has made to the success of the Group in various roles during his 24 years with the company," Holcim said.

US$125m CAF loan signed for Guayaquil project

03 December 2014, Published under Cement News

Holcim Ecuador SA has signed a loan contract for US$125m with the Latin American development bank, CAF. The funds will finance the modernisation of Holcim’s Guayaquil plant. The upgrade programme will see clinker production capacity rise to 3.4Mta, enabling to replace current clinker imports by domestic production and reduce the country’s currency outflow. In addition, some 20 per cent of the investment will be directed to environmental technology to improve the plant’s environmental re...

Venezuela: Holcim receives final installment

01 December 2014, Published under Cement News

Holcim today announced that the group has received the last compensation installment in connection with the nationalisation of Holcim Venezuela in 2008. Corporación Socialista Del Cemento SA, which is now operating the former Holcim plant, has transferred the remaining compensation amount of US$97.5m intially due on 10 September 2014, the Swiss cement producer said in a statement. Holcim reported back in October that it was still awaiting the final installment and was in contact with rel...